Scottish Veterans Residences is Scotland's oldest ex-Service charity, founded in 1910.
Scottish Veterans Residences was founded as a charity in 1910 by two Seaforth Highlanders, Charles Pelham Burn and Chilton Lind Addison Smith, having seen the squalor under which veterans of the day existed in Edinburgh.
The first residence was Whitefoord House on the Canongate (opposite the parliament building) and the first residents were veterans of C19th wars such as Crimea, the Afghan Wars and the Boer War. The money to buy Whitefoord House was donated by Mrs W G McLaren of Hillpark, Bannockburn in memory of her two sons Captain James Marshall McLaren and Lieutenant William Victor St Clair McLaren who both died in the service of their country.
In 1932 SVR was gifted Rosendael, a mansion house in Broughty Ferry, Dundee by the Proctor Kyd family who had lost their son, Frank Proctor Kyd son at the battle of the Somme in 1916. Rosendael became the second residence and today we have a total of 126 en-suite rooms along with 25 independent affordable rental flats.
Bellrock Close (opening in 2014) will become the third residence, comprising 21 affordable flats and a 30 flat transitional support unit.